One request to Don:

When quoting Esperanto words, since most of us do not have the special E-o
font that he uses, could he (even if only in parentheses) use a readable
form? I have not the slightest idea what letter the 1/4 symbol means, when
I see a form like "denta(1/4)levilo" and thus am clueless.

Don says that shorter alternatives to "malgranda" and "malbona" have not caught
on. Of course. For one, there is no official one; so if you use "mava" you
have no assurance that you will be understood. For another, I assume that they
early on, when learning E-o, learn to use the mal- forms, and are habituated
to them. I imagine that Idists, learning "mikra" equally early on, are not
tempted to replace it by "desgranda" (I believe that des- is, in Ido as in
Novial, the equivalent to E-o mal-).

One has somewhat more vocabulary to learn, but one recognizes the word. (I
doubt that any speaker of a modern western language needs very much time to
absorb the meaning of "mikra" in Ido or "mikri" in Novial. Yes, a Chinese
may have to spend time. But no Chinese will thank you for saving him a few
vocabulary items if he also has to learn the meaning of E-o "-n"! And I've
long maintained that trying to please _all_ the world's speakers is an
impossible task anyway.)

And _using_ E-o one has to go through one's head... what's the word for small?
Hmmm, nothing comes to mind... oh yes, there _is_ no word for small, I have
to make it "un-big"... malgranda! After a while, of course, it becomes second
nature, but by that time one's already _learned_ those antonyms in any other
language.

                                Bruce R. Gilson
                                IRC: EZ-as-pi