C Z scripted:

> > Every EU-citizen will recognize the word _entomologia_.
>
> This is not true. Very many British people will *not* recognise it.
> However, virtually *all* literate British people will recognise
> "insect-science".

I do have some sympathy for Phil Hunt's idea of deriving equivalents for
terms like "entomology" in this way.  This is one of those words that many
English speakers actually do not know.  My feeling is also that Kjell is
perhaps, stuck in his IALA mindset, being a bit high-minded.  I believe
that a compound like INSECT-SCIENTIA would actually be wrong in IALA,
whereas, of course, INSEKTE-SIENTIE is perfectly good Novial.  This is one
of the ways in which I think we can gain by taking a more flexible
approach than IALA towards such things.  There is no reason why we should
not try to combine the best qualities of the Romance group with
capabilities from the Germanic group, like freer compounding.

However, it would be a braver man than me that denied the entomologist the
word ENTOMOLOGIE (adjust for your own system accordingly).  Forcing a
biologist of any kind to say "insect-science" is probably the best way to
ensure that your language is never taken up in biological, and certainly
not entomological circles.

James Chandler
http://yi.com/home/ChandlerJames
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5037