Donald J. HARLOW scripted:

> In 1948 he was elected "senator" in the Occidental Union, but
> just at that time he became skeptical of the correctness of the
> naturalistic principles, which he defended and propagandized for so long.
> He studied Interlingua, IALA's new project (see chap. 5) and became
> disillusioned when he realized that it was even more naturalistic than
> Occidental. And  while several eminences of the Occidental movement crossed
> to IALA's new language, Gilbert followed the opposite route and began to
> study Esperanto seriously. In 1950 he made a decisive step and joined
> Zamenhof's language. He finally understood that Occidental, despite many
> admirable qualities, might be suitable only as a common language for
> Westerners, and that Esperanto, so sharply criticized by the
> Occidentalists, was in many ways superior and preferable as a means of
> global communication." (p. 10)

When I read reports like this, I really wish there had been something
_in_between_ for this fellow to go to.  Well, Ido was around of course,
but perhaps he had some reason for not becoming an Idist.
But isn't there a "period drama digital watch" in this story?  Gilbert
settled for Esp in 1950 after studying IALA, but IALA was not published
till `51....

James Chandler
http://yi.com/home/ChandlerJames
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5037