Me self jus scripted:

> Given that I know the meaning of my adjectival root, and the meaning of
> the ending I am applying to it (I suppose it is the Slavic -E), that
> leaves me needing to know the meaning of AS.  Which I don't!

Actually, reviewing these words I think I have erred in saying I can know
the meaning of -E.  It seems to me that -E doesn't carry any meaning as
such, it only has function.  In the same way, the only meaning carried by
-AS, or if you like its meaning component, is "presentness" or perhaps
"not specifially in the past or future-ness".  So presented with BELAS, I
have but two ideas to work with: "beauty" and "presentness".  Beyond that,
how I interpret the coincidence of these two ideas does not seem to be
specified.

James Chandler
http://yi.com/home/ChandlerJames
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5037