Je 05:31 ptm 5/2/98 -0400, Yves BELLEFEUILLE skribis:

>James Chandler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> But can I ask, does anyone other than Don Harlow actually understand
>> this supposed difference between the meanings of Esp BELAS and ESTAS
>> BELA?
>
>Don Harlow didn't make this up; it's straight from _Lingvaj Respondoj_
>(a collection of Zamenhof's replies to questions from Esperantists).

I suspect that what James meant was not "is this distinction officially
recognized in Esperanto?" but "do Esperantists make it?"

Answer, of course, is yes. I can't think of anybody I know who has gone
beyond the translate-word-for-word stage who doesn't occasionally use the
"Xas" form to evoke a stronger reaction from the listener than the mere
assignment of an attribute via copula (estas Xa) would do.

As an example, back in the seventies, some Chinese Esperantist took the
name of a "hit" song, which was in English "officially" "The East Is Red",
and made it in Esperanto "officially" "Ru=F8as la Oriento" -- a much more
evocative expression than the English one.

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/