> In this case, I can think of the
>recent example of a pop group called "Reprazent".  This is where we see
>how English will look in the future (except that hopefully we will find a
>better way of reprazenting the indistinct vowel than "a").

Came to think of it: Perhaps this cat food Whiskas is known not only here
in Sweden. I think it is a Brittish company that makes it. Now, the first
time I saw it in a shop here, I read it of course as if it were Swedish. So
I thought: What the .... (add what you think proper!) Why do they use old
spelling. _Viskas_ means _people are whispering, "there is being whispered"
and old spelling might be _hviskas_ (the h always came befor the _v_ and
not after it as in English). And what has that got to do with cat food?!
Anyway, not until I had been saying the word to myself did I realize
(realise?) :-) that it was _whiskers_ they meant.

I have seen in magazines for a predominantly joung readership that they use
radical spellings like  _magix_ and the like.

Kjell [log in to unmask]
Kjell Rehnstroem
Vaenortsgatan 87
S-752 64  UPPSALA