"Donald J. HARLOW" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Je 09:36 atm 5/2/98 -0700, Bruce R. GILSON:

>>James Chandler wrote of the history of Gilbert's conversion to E-o:

>>>When I read reports like this, I really wish there had been something
>>>_in_between_ for this fellow to go to.

>>When I read those words, I felt exactly the same way. I didn't post a
>response,
>>because it's clear there are variations in our idea of just where the right
>>middle ground is. But James wrote what I was thinking so accurately that I
>>had to sign on to his post.

>I'm not sure what the problem is, at least in this particular context.
>Novial (which I suspect is what both James and Bruce are talking about),
>advertised as a compromise between the schematic and naturalistic schools,
>was in 1948-1950 not forgotten because less than a decade gone; people like
>Gilbert, who had been active in the prewar IAL movement, would certainly
>have been familiar with it. While the world's IAL-enthusiastic lurkers
>would not have had Novial to go to, an activist like Gilbert could
>certainly have gathered a few like-minded friends around him and revived
>the movement, just as Bruce et al. are trying to do now.

Well, I did not mean specifically Novial; from what Gilbert says, anything
somewhat similar to Occidental, but moving toward more schematicity, would seem
to fill the bill.

Novial would certainly qualify.

Note that not everyone is willing to _start_ a new language. I would not have
started on my own. I needed the stimulus of people willing to collaborate with
me, and the Internet did not exist in 1950. I remember trying a collaborative
process in 1970 or 80. It was not an easy thing to do, with the speed of commu-
nication as it was.

Note that Gilbert referred to the disappointment he had in finding IALA was
producing a more naturalistic language than Occ. I really have to read that as
implying that if they'd produced a _more_schematic_ language than Occ., he
might have gone with it.

                                Bruce R. Gilson
                                IRC: EZ-as-pi