Je 07:47 ptm 5/2/98 +0200, Kjell REHNSTROM skribis:

>In an exchange some year ago I told Don H. that I had been speking to an
>Esperantist - during my esperanto period - and it was about a _memmortigo_
>(a perfect rendering of Swedish _sj=E4lvmord_). I was then informed that=
 the
>word was not _memmortigo_ but _suicido_. Don thought then that it was a non
>experienced esperantist I was talking to. But as a matter of fact I think
>he was quite versed in the Zamenhofian language.

Umm ... must have been some other Don H.? I have never used the word
_suicido_, and don't intend to. (You can find it in PIV, as a minor
unofficial root, but I have never heard anybody else use it, either.)

I _would_ have corrected "memmortigo" to "sinmortigo", which would be, I
suspect, a better translation of "sj=E4lvmord". "Mem" in Esperanto is an
emphasizer, like the Latin "ipse", not a reflexive, like the Latin "se" --
the latter is "si". English uses "self" for both meanings ("He himself
killed himself" =3D "Li mem mortigis sin"), and, from the formal similarity
("sj=E4lv"), I suspect that Swedish might do the same -- right or wrong?

"Suicide", I believe from its form, would in fact etymologically resemble
"sinmortigo" =3D=3D the "sui" appears to be a form of the Latin reflexive, a=
nd
"cide" is, what, "caedo, caedere", to kill?

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/