Je 12:17 ptm 5/3/98 +0100, James CHANDLER skribis:

>Donald J. HARLOW scripted:
>
>> If HEZITI came from Ido, I will be glad to thank Ido for it; it is a useful
>> word. But given the time at which it was officialized in Esperanto, and the
>> general attitude toward Ido among Esperantists at that time, I suspect that
>> its origin was elsewhere.
>
>1. When was it officialized?  (Please excuse me if you've told us this
>before.)

Third official addition. I'm not sure of the date, but think it was in the
late twenties or early thirties, at a time when Ido was still anathema to
most Esperantists.

>2. Where else do suspect it could've come from?

Uh ... any group of West European languages?

Post hoc does not automatically prove propter hoc.

>> EKSKUZI is one of the most totally useless -- and unused -- words in
>> Esperanto. If it came from Ido, I am also quite willing to give Ido all the
>> thanks it deserves for this word.
>
>I would probably use this in preference to SENKULPIGI if I were an Espist.
>It is less of a brain-teaser and is naturally international.

I doubt whether any significant number of Asian or African Esperantists --
of which there are many -- would consider it so. Ultimately, you would be
more likely to be understood with "senkulpigi", which is easy to analyze in
terms of common morphemes and is fairly widely used, than with "ekskuzi",
which remains buried as an interesting near-hapax in the larger and more
expensive dictionaries.

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/