> Z. would have received $1500-$2000 a year, by your calculations. As I
> remember, that's the equivalent of 300-400 pounds a year at the rate
> of exchange in 1906 (or was the pound even higher then?).

In a film about wartime Britain a character translated #2 as $10 so the
exchange rate has shifted a lot.

In those times a senior clerk in an accountancy office might earn 21/- a
week (and my figures may come from later).  Thus Z's income would have
been about 7 times that of a clerk -- probably not unreasonable and
probably more than he earned as oculist to a poor clientele in Warsaw.

In Britain at least, the factor of ten for inflation is way out.  A Mars
bar cost 7d (3p) at decimalization in 1971 and 35p now!  My gran used to
sell beer at 1/7d (8p) a pint; it now costs #1.50-2.00.  My mum used to
tell me that in the fifties she could have a simple multi-course meal
for 2/6d (12.5p) and still have change.

But, as we have both pointed out, this is pretty much irrelevant, given
that Z did not feel that he could be certain of the money!!

-- jP --