Julian P wrote:

> I write "learnt", "burnt", "spelt" because
>that is what I say.

Do you really say "spelt" with a T sound? This has always struck me as one
of the peculiar British spellings that instantly marks a Briton's writing
to me as much as "gaol" or "tyre" would.

Note that in American use, the other two forms are not unheard-of, though
"learnt" (like "dreamt") is probably obsolete, or at least obsolescent, and
"burnt" is usually used only as an adjective ("burnt rubber") and not as part
of the conjugational paradigm of "burn."

(I still say "dreamt" - like keep/kept, with change of vowel from the present
tense - but I'm over 50 and I doubt that any American under 30 does.)

                                Bruce R. Gilson
                                IRC: EZ-as-pi