Je 02:35 ptm 5/4/98 +0000, Julian PARDOE skribis:

>Tolkien wrote many words justifying the use of
>"dwarves" in LotR; to me no justification is needed.  The "knife"/
>"knives" pattern is well established in English and in my dialect
>"dwarf" and "roof" both follow this pattern; I write "rooves" though no
>dictionary back me up.  (I must admit though, that the weight of
>convention is pressing upon me.)

Just an aside here (don't let it start a whole thread, please, Mother!): in
a number of the Western novels I've read, cowboys use the word "beef" for
"a head of cattle" (cattle were and are raised in the American West
primarily to provide meat, not milk), and the plural they use is invariably
"beeves".

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/