>The only thing that really gets me worked up is being told that "-ize"
>is not a correct British spelling when it patently is!  The fact that
>this false assertion is based on British people's lack of knowledge of
>their own linguistic traditions and on a (perfectly reasonable)
>misapprehension by Americans (not because they are American but because
>they are not British) only makes things worse.

I guess, since Julian says "perfectly reasonable," no exception should be
taken there. It seems obvious that to an American, the forms that immediately
show differences from our spellings are salient, and I assume that one doesn't
even notice British uses of -ize because they look so absolutely normal to us,
but the large number of -ise forms where we use -ize left its imprint on who-
ever constructed "Br-E" spell-checking dictionaries.

While we are at it, since Julian points our inconsistency in writing "analyze"
but "analysis," can he explain the rule in BrE for the use/non-use of "u" in
the -or/-our words? I see "honour" and "honourable" but "honorary" for example.
When does an ending cause the "u" to drop, and when not?

                                Bruce R. Gilson
                                IRC: EZ-as-pi