Quoth Bruce Gilson:
> > ... I came across the word "malsupreniris"
>
> Fine, what does it mean? The only morphemes I recognize are mal- (opposite of)
> and -is (past tense).

"went down".  mal-supre-n-iris.  (The N threw me, although I did manage
to catch everything else on the first try. :)  (The whole phrase thus
means "the dove went down over Christ".)

> >A couple of years later, it was rather depresing to have to look up
> >"sobiri" (kelojn).
>
> Not recognizing it at all, I don't see it as a borrowing from any language I
> know.

I think he means "subiri": again, "go down" or perhaps "go under"?  If
it really was sob-, that is a pretty hopeless compound, but then again,
if it was sub-, then it should mean "go under" whereas "go down" seems
more reasonable (kelojn = cellars-ACC, thus "go down into the cellars").

--
-=-Don [log in to unmask]<http://www.cs.brown.edu/~dpb/>-=-
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.