At 12:26 PM 03 05 98 +0100, James Chandler wrote:

>This is interesting, because it leaves me wondering about the status of
>Novial's SELF.  In Ido, suicide is SU-OCIDO, from the refl. SU and OCIDAR
>= to kill.  Jespersen rejected OCIDAR and installed in its place TUA from
>F tuer.  Then he adopts SELF instead of Ido IPSA, and uses SELF in
>compounds in a way that Eng. does but that Ido does not do with IPSA.
>Thus suicide is SELF-TUO.  One question is, would SE-TUO be better?  The
>other is, didn't Ido get quite close with SU-OCIDO, and isn't SELF-TUO a
>bit of a monster in comparison?

For those who are familiar with "suicide" - but I wonder if that has
currency beyond the anglo-romance group.

>> "Suicide", I believe from its form, would in fact etymologically resemble
>> "sinmortigo" == the "sui" appears to be a form of the Latin reflexive, and
>> "cide" is, what, "caedo, caedere", to kill?
>
>Which makes me think, perhaps if we took SUI as refl. pronoun, and CIDAR
>for "kill", we could make SUICIDO, HOMOCIDO, FRATOCIDO etc.

But does "sui-" show up in any other compounds? It seems to me that "auto"
would be the closest thing to a pan-Occidental reflexive. "Autocido?" (I
have heard "autocide" used to mean "killing with a car", but that's
obviously a bad formation.)

Chris Burd