Je 12:17 PM 5/6/98 -0700, Bruce R. Gilson skribis:

>Well, my comparing Novial (and GN) on this forum with E-o is different from
>what I'll do before the world at large. Here, everyone at least knows _of_=
=20
>E-o >and the only people I will get as converts to GN will be people who=20
>are (for whatever reason) dissatisfied with the existing interlanguages.=20
>When GN is published, however, our message to the world at large will be=20
>exactly as you would recommend. We're selling to the billions of people=20
>who have never learned _any_ interlanguage at all.

This makes sense.

My own theory is that since none of the at least 800 planlingvoj which=20
have come on the scene since Esperanto has had comparable success, we=20
are unlikely to see the world's billions flocking to a new one.

But if it were to happen, it would be a _good_thing_. =20

It is certainly true that in some domains, a fresh approach sometimes=20
brings more impressive results than the "tried and true".  So although I=20
still bet on the gradual growth of Esperanto, I shouldn't rule out the=20
"long shots".  One of them might just pay off, someday, and we'd have a=20
global second language.

In the past I have been very frustrated at what appears to me to be=20
damaging squandering of forces, instead of rallying behind our best hope=20
for an worldwide IAL.  But I'm gradually coming to believe that (1) it's=20
not hurting the Esperanto Movado, and (2) sure, why not hedge our bets? =20

C`ion bonan al vi c`iuj! / All the best to y'all,

Ken

  | Ken CAVINESS           Physics at Southern Adventist University |
  | [log in to unmask]             ESPERANTO =3D Lingvo internacia |
  | http://southern.edu/~caviness/     E-o/English/Fran=E7ais/Deutsch |