Je 09:46 AM 5/6/98 -0700, Robert J. Petry skribis:

>However, I don't think from what I have seen so far, that the Esperantists=
=20
>spent much time on why Volapu"k was the language to beat. They seemed to=20
>have mentioned it, but I have never seen or heard of an intenst propaganda=
=20
>campaign against it by the Esperantists. Does anyone know?

Don Harlow's recent post mentionned an comparison between E-o and Volapu"k,
aborted because the Volapu"k movement was already visibly collapsing by
that time.  It's not inconsistent with human nature to guess that there
would have been a great deal of propaganda-type comparisons if Volapu"k had
not self-destructed.

>The reason this may be important in the auxlang area is this. I always see=
=20
>every new and old language compared with Esperanto.=20

True.

>This is "reverse advertising". And, this is one of the reasons Esperanto=20
>stays in the lead. Every time someone compares their language with=20
>Esperanto, it is free advertising that reminds people that Esperanto=20
>is there. Sometimes, reverse advertising is much more effective than=20
>straight advertising. Let the competitors do it for you. And, as long as=20
>this continues, Esperanto will never "go away".

Interesting thought.  However, in view of the numbers involved, this is
probably not a major factor in Esperanto's continued (relative) success.
There are many more people using it ("straight advertising") than
complaining about it ("reverse advertising").

>This is one thing that has started to disappoint me in the Kos/Cosmoglotta=
=20
>magazines now. A lot of time was spent in showing the "faults" of Esp.=20

This was also the case in my first contact with Interlingua.  I have been
very happy to see that this in _not_ generally the case on the Interlingua
mailing list, which is a good place to see a planlingvo in use in an
international group.

>Occidental is much better in its own right, in my opinion, as are others=20
>over Esp.

Not at all obvious to most supporters of the IAL idea, apparently.  Say,=20
Bob, why don't you tell us why you think Occidental and other planlingvoj=20
are "much better" than Esperanto?  No, wait, I guess you better not, that=20
would be reverse advertising, wouldn't it?

Esperanto is _at_least_ as good as other planlingvoj, in my opinion, and=20
in some ways _better_.

For some of the reasons, click on my homepage (listed below), and then=20
select "Planlingvoj".

Salutas
Ken

  | Ken CAVINESS           Physics at Southern Adventist University |
  | [log in to unmask]             ESPERANTO =3D Lingvo internacia |
  | http://southern.edu/~caviness/     E-o/English/Fran=E7ais/Deutsch |