We have been actively involved in this for the past couple of years. Within
our hospital system we have drafted transfer aggreements which include
automatic administrative approval. Pediatric patients who are being cared
for at a general facility and who are felt to need either subspecialty eval.
or admission are then transported to the Pedi facility. A simple phone call
to our ED or to the PICU is made and the transfer takes place. This has been
given the "ok" from our regulatory agencies and has, of course been
"lawyered" to death. Overall it has been very helpfull. In addition, it
works both ways: when we see an adult with chest pain we initiate care, make
a quick phone call and off they go.

Brian Bates, MD

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: