On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, James Chandler wrote:

> Can anyone help with a query about Interglossa?
> Someone has asserted to me that the language was only ever published in
> draft form.  I am not sufficiently familiar with Hogben's book to say
> whether this is true or not.  Did Ashby and Clark have to do what they did
> because Hogben only presented I-g in draft form?
>
> Any opinions would be much appreciated.

    I'm not sure just what you mean by "draft form" in this context.
Certainly, Hogben did publish Interglossa as a book, and copies do
exist.  I myself found the style of it a bit hard to read, but that may
be just me.  Whether he intended to revise it based on experience if it
found much usage, I don't know.  On the other hand, I doubt that Ashby
and Clark "[had] to do what they did."  I have never asked them, but I
get the idea that they liked Interglossa in general principle but
disagreed with specifics of implementation.  They secured permission
from Hogben to revive the project, making such changes/revisions as
they saw fit. (For example, Hogben deliberately eschewed strict
phoneticity of spelling in favor of recognizability, but A&C reversed
this construct.)  So they changes they made seemed to be more or less
personal decisions.

--
Paul                             <[log in to unmask]>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA