On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 18:58:23 +0200, Kjell Rehnstr=F6m
<[log in to unmask]> skripted:

>speak English to me rather than Polish, but this was very seldom.
>
>At university level I think you can say that people are good at English =
here.

>Every Swedish government and local-administration authority and =
institution
>has an English name as well on their stationary. How official this is I
>don't know. Perhaps B. Philip knows about this.

Here in Spain, fortunately, we have no such dependence on English. On
the culture side, we have good own literature, good own music, and we
see american movies translated. Technical books and magazines are also
translated generally, so we need English not very much. A different
thing is when I come to Internet and I find that almost everything is
in English. I don't know if this is going to change, but Internet is a
good selling machine for English language. I think Internet is
increasing English preasure (it has done in my life, where English was
almost not needed), as it offers in English things that are not
available in any other way. Largely used languages (S, F, G), will
perhaps see relexificated this preasure as long as their big speaking
communities (and services) incorporates to the net. But for the minor
languages I don't expect a hopeful future.

Salutos,        Novial Pro: the interlanguage of the 21st century
Marcos              http://www.lloc.nu/marcos/index.htm
          =20