On Wed, 08 Jul 1998 11:05:17 BST, Lou Burnard wrote:

> Any kind of segment can be marked up using the <s> element in TEI
> Lite, so you might use that for the purpose described here. However,
> for this application, you are not marking up the logical structure of
> the text, but want to control the way the formatter behaves. You could
> do this by inventing a special value for the rend attribute e.g. <cell
> rend=nobreak>IBM-PC</cell>, but then your processor would have to be a
> bit clever.

    Yes, but 'rend' attribute seems to be overloaded enough even without
this hack (looking to long, long switch handling 'rend' attribute
:-)

> You might also do it by using different entity names for
> breakable and non-breakable hyphens e.g. IBM&break;PC vs IBM&nobreak;PC.

        Thank you very much for you advice.

I've settled on Peter Flynn's advice of using ISOnum-included
&hyphen; as a non-breaking hyphen entity, and using '-' as a normal
(breaking) one.
--
        Best regards, -- Boris.