On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Marsha Maguire wrote:

|Can I make multiple declarations of DTD's in one document?  I imagine
|I'll need at least to declare TEI (do I need to declare the full TEI DTD
|in order to use the spoken word tags and indexing tags -- so I can add
|subject terms throughout the transcripts --  or can I use TEI_Lite?),
|and the new XML-based SMIL DTD so we can link into the oral history
|video files from which the transcripts were made, synchronizing and
|timing them as appropriate.

A document (in particular, an XML document) can only invoke one
DTD. Of you need to combine tags from different TEI tagsets, for
example the TEI spoken tags and the hypertext linking tags, then you
need to define a DTD which does that. Happily, the TEI scheme is
designed precisely with that end in view. See chapter six of the
Guidelines for the full scoop, or for a brief introduction see
http://www.uic.edu/orgs/tei/intros/teij31/ For a simple way of
combining tagsets and producing a dtd, see the pizza baker at
http://firth.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/tei/pizza.html (also available on the
Chicago site but I'm not sure where)

You can do quite a lot with TEI lite but it doesn't include all the
speech transcription tags. And you cannot modify TEI Lite -- it's a
cooked pizza. I don't know much about the SMIL dtd, (except that it
hasn't been implemented yet so far as I can see) -- and I'd be very
interested to hear what you needed for your project which the existing
TEI proposals for linking and synchronization (which have been
implemented) don't support.

|Is it possible to use TEI tags in an XML-tagged document at this point?

Yes. The XML-ification of the TEI dtds is currently underway. In
practice, most TEI documents in TEi interchange format are well formed
XML documents already: the problem lies in that the TEI dtds use some
DTD language constructs which are not available in XML. A TEI
workgroup is currently addressing this problem, as announced here a
few weeks ago.

|DO I need to create a local DTD, defining tags and attributes we need
|from the TEI?  That's a scary thought, but I guess I have enough
|documentation on XML and the TEI to give it a try.  Still, it would be a
|lot easier to simply declare the pertinent DTDs at the beginning of the
|each transcript

Indeed yes. The TEI approach is to try to make that as easy as
possible. You can just declare the pertinent tagsets at the start of
each transcript, provided that the result fits into the TEI
architecture. See references above!

Best wishes

Lou