We  all know that our current regime for asthma maintanance theray is
the use of inhaled corticosteroids or the "prevention" drug and then
Ventolin and  possible systemic steroids in the acute setting.
Since the release of the new group of leucotrin inhibitors esp. the 5 mg
tablet (singulair), the news and papers went on a rampage on how this
drug will take the place of maintanance inhaled steroid therapy.
Subsequently even in our ER departments we get requests to change
therapy.
As I understand it The current protocol is still to be followed and the
leucotrine inhibitors have only a place in the steroid resistent
patients?

The most important factor for parents is, that this new drug is steroid
free(which is  what most of  the anxiety on steroids is about) and  the
fact that it is chewable which 99% of parents prefer..
What are other guys goiing to do? Is this the new golden drug?
SIas

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: