Ray,

First I would strongly suggest that you question certain assumptions. It
seems from your question that your group or the "powers that be" have
decided that the problem is too few doctors during peak shifts. Now this
may be true or it may be only a part of the problem. We have found that
our major delays occur from long waits for hospital beds, long lines to
register, and slow lab turn around.

If it turns out that you indeed need to create  an on-call system to bring
an extra attending in, I know of two models. Scottish-Rite in Atlanta has
such a system and CHOP published the results of their system to deal with
winter, viral illness volume. (I think that Kathy Shaw was one of the
authors and Jane Lavelle was another, but I don't have the article with me
at the moment.)

Best of luck.

BK

Brent R King, M.D.
St. Christopher's Hospital for Children

"... And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
from this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers..."
                                       Henry V - Wm Shakespeare

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: