-----Original Message-----
From:   Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of BONIS, DR. STANLEY
Sent:   Sunday, August 09, 1998 11:32 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PED-EM-L
Subject:        COBRA Question

HYPOTHETICALLY:
Is COBRA violated, if a parent shows up with her sick child, at a hospital
that has no real ER but does have an outpatient facility for adults? The
child is in extremis. The outpatient clinic"triage" nurse tells the family
to go to the private pediatician's office without ever looking at the baby
despite the family providing an accurate history of a child in shock. I
should add that there is an high risk NICU in the hypothetical hospital.

Stan Bonis MD
OLOLRMC - PICU
Baton Rouge, LA
LSU/Tulane Schools of Medicine