-----Original Message-----
From:   Pediatric Emergency Medicine Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Scott H. Freedman, MD
Sent:   Thursday, August 13, 1998 10:10 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PED-EM-L
Subject:        procedures lab

Dear Members of the List:

We are planning a procedures lab for training our RN's and RRT's in advance-
directed pediatric transport.  Included in the teaching session will be
needle
thoracostomy and chest tube placement.  Other than live (anesthetized)
animals
as models, does anyone have other ideas?  I was told about using a rack of
ribs from the butcher, but does dead, cold,  contracted muscle adequately
simulate the "real thing"?.  I know, actually needling the chest or placing
chest tube on transport for a tension PTX is a VERY rare event...do you even
bother teaching this procedure to your staff?
Similarly, are chicken legs still the"best" for simulating IO's?
Clearly $$, time, and availability are all factors being considered...

Scott Freedman MD
Medical Director
Pediatric Transport Program
Wolfson Children's Hospital