James Chandler wrote:

> Michael Farris wrote:
>
> > One *strong* suggestion: Dump the accents!
> >
> >(CUT)

> I partly agree and partly disagree.
> As everyone already knows, I prefer not to use any accent marks in an IAL,
> as I just think they constitute an unnecessary complication.  The basic
> rule "stress the vowel before the last consonant", plus one or two
> auxiliary rules, gives excellent results if the roots and affixes are
> chosen to match.
>
> Having said that, I get the impression Michael is proposing something
> different.  He is saying that ensuring that the same word is stresed by all
> in the same place is not important enough to justify using accent marks.

Yes, exactly.

> My view is that if Occ is going to choose its forms in the way it does,
> then the basic stress rules applicable to Novial will not be enough.  In
> this case I think use of some accent mark(s) to indicate divergent stress
> in a word is justifiable.  In other words, Occ could have chosen the affix
> form -itate, but it has in fact chosen -ita.  Given this choice, either an
> extra stress rule is going to be required for this affix, or the stress
> (which must be on "a") must be indicated by an auxiliary mark.

why?

> To this extent I disagree that an accent mark used in some languages is
> no more justified in an IAL than one used in none.  The fact of the matter
> is that Occ can use either grave or acute accents, and one of these
> (usually both) is available in the vast majority of typesets, printing
> establishments etc.  I think the inconveniences of the Occ accents are
> far less than those of the Esp ones, tho there are still some.

Far less is still some, still too much, IMHO.

>  But the
> only alternative would be to change the forms of various words and affixes
> (in other words follow the same approach as Novial).
>
> What I do find rather misleading is when Occ is presented sans accent
> marks, hiding the fact that some words are stressed on unusual syllables.

Well, currently, Occidental is spoken by *Very* few people, if it all. I say
what's the difference if some people end up stressing different syllables in some
words?
Having written accents does not "solve" the problem (if it is a problem) and does
not guarantee that people will stress the syllable with the written accent.
Remember, those accents don't necessarily indicate stress in many languages. In
French, Czech, Polish, Hungarian (maybe another one or two in Europe) they don't
indicate stress but vowel quality.
I don't see much point in micro-managing every point in an IAL, especially one
just getting (re-)started. Especially a naturalistic one just getting re-started.
Naturalistic, after all, should be a two-way street, in other words, you need to
have some room for it to develop naturally.

Mi amika fughi,
Mike Farris