It always amazes me how practice differs around the country and between
academic and community hospitals.  Having practiced community hospital
general emergency medicine in various parts of the country for the last
twelve years, this issue is remarkably dependent on local standards.  The
last city I worked, every child with a first febrile seizure underwent an
LP as a clear-cut community standard.  In my current situation, an LP is
expected only in those with "clinical suspicion of meningitis".  Naturally,
one has a low threshold, but my current LP rate is minuscule compared to
my previous 100% rate.

Ken Frumkin
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: