Sorry if my opinion is a little simple.Here at La Plata Children's Hospital
we treat suspicious throats with a 10 day pen PO or benzatine injection if
the patient is not going to return.We have a pretty good lab facilities but
we don't use quick methods, we must plate all swabs.Could anybody describe
such quick methods and advantages for me?
As to L.P. I've been doing LP to any postconvulsive febrile child who is
not clearly a febrile convulsion.I agre with that clinical impression or
gestalt as was mentioned as the most sensitive resource we have.Here at
Argentina we have a saying that goes like this: "If anyone(doctors or
nurses) thought of a LP ,do it"Of course we have done a lot of negative LP
but one opportune
diagnosis may be life-saving.We often consult a pediatric neurologist who
is on call in the Hospital and we have never disagreed.
        It is good to read your messages,I'm learning a lot and losing my
fears to write my owns.

                        Dr.Jorge Alvarez
                        Chief Pediatric Interns
                       Children's Hospital Sor Maria Ludovica