Actually, the study may well be true. The statement that OIA  and culture
are of equivalent sensitivity in an office setting is not telling the whole
story about OIA, and can be misleading, because you are comparing apples to
oranges. Once again, office based cultures are often non selective media
and could be falsely enhancing the sensitivity of OIA.  Selective media
(which is what most hospital micro labs use) are the gold standard of
detecting GABHS.

Jay Pershad

> From: DAVID SMITH <[log in to unmask]>

> Well...whether or not you agree with the study, it IS true that the study
> exists and that what I reported was their findings of essentially
> equivalent sensitivity and specificity in an office-based setting...March
> 1997, JAMA.  Can't remember which week off-hand.
>
> Dave Smith
> Children's of Akron

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: