>Wouldn't you know that one of the E.R. staff's own child came in with
simple febrile
>seizure. He talked us into not doing L.P. since she looke o.k. Wouldn't
>you know that 12 hours later she came backe with pneumococcal meningitis
>and a right sided paresis. He kicked himself for "interfering".

There are also plenty of stories of similar progression of disease in
febrile children WITHOUT seizures.  I don't see any compelling evidence in
the literature that the presence or absence of a simple seizure in a
well-appearing child changes this risk.

Steve Green, MD, FACEP
Director, Emergency Medicine Residency Program
Professor of Emergency Medicine
Loma Linda University Medical Center & Children's Hospital
Loma Linda, California

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: