At 11:50 PM 9/2/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Question for the group (and I will try to ask it as neutrally as possible).
>
>Hypothetical situation - child in "severe respiratory distress" in the field
>(as per a paramedic's evaluation).
>
>Is it better for the child to be transported by paramedics 30 minutes (or
>many times longer) in order to get to a "Pediatric Critical Care Center"
>(may not necessarily be soley a "children's hospital")

No

 or  is it better for
>the child to be transported only a few minutes to a general emergency
>department staffed with board certified and/or residency trained emergency
>physicians??

YES
Resuscitate, treat, stabilize.   Disposition could include transfer if
higher level of care required.

<snip>

Competent and qualified emergency physicians are capable of managing sick
and injured persons of any age.  Transport past an emergency department
delays care, places the patient at increased risk, dilutes EMS resources,
raises the probability of traffic accidents, and does no one any good.

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: