We have a curious situation with "plastics" here.  There are no ABMS plastic
surgeons on staff, so we have a "facial plastic" service, read ENT surgery.
My experience has been much like others in that I/we do nearly all of them.
When a family member/patient requests a "plastic surgeon" we try to help
them understand what they mean.  If they want someone with specialized
training in surgical repair of the face, we explain the facial plastic
service.  If they are insistent on an ABMS plastic surgeon, they get
transfered.

Tom Terndrup

At 11:33 PM -0400 8/31/98, Julia McDonald wrote:
>I would be interested in hearing how people deal with the patient who has a
>simple laceration that could easily be repaired by an ED physician ( or
even a
>medical student) when parents specifically request a plastic surgeon to do
the
>repair.
>
>Thanks for your input!
>
>Sincerely,
>Julia McDonald
>University of Louisville
>
>P.S.  You can e-mail me at [log in to unmask]
>
>For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with the
>message: info PED-EM-L
>The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
>  http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Emergency_Medicine/ped-em-l.html

        Steven Lelyveld, M.D.
        Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Medicine
        Director, Pediatric Emergency Medicine
        University of Chicago Children's Hospital
        5839 South Maryland - m/c 0810
        Chicago, Illinois 60637
        (773)702-9087 or (773)753-1880 pager#9333
        Fax (773) 702-0414
        e-mail: [log in to unmask]