I  had a "sickler" yesterday with the first episode of isolated left elbow
pain, swelling and effusion (fat pad on radiographs without bony change).
No history of trauma. She also had a fever (39.1C).

I was wondering if folks could share their experience/data on reliability
of ESR in this setting to rule out a pyogenic effusion. Also, would you tap
this elbow for analysis of the fluid? Is a sympathetic effusion from an
acute vasoocclusive crisis a common entity?

Thanks in advance.

Jay Pershad, MD
"Every noble thought in your mind brings you closer to God"

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: