On Mon, 7 Sep 1998 14:23:43 +0200, you wrote:

>Zeno wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 5 Sep 1998 15:55:15 +0200, you wrote:
>>
>> >  <snip>
>> >
>> >In other words, computer nerd in Silicon valley doesn't have a more =
highly
>> >developed brain than hunter gatherer in the rain forest (or desert).
>> >
>> >  <snip>
>> >
>> If my brain cannot be developed, then why on Earth do I spend so much
>> time trying to learn new things (like an IAL)?
>
>Education is not the same thing as development (which I meant to be =
understood
>as an evolutionary term) I repeat, Computer programmer has the same =
brain (in
>evolutionary terms) as hunter gatherer.

So, the statement should read that a computer nerd in Silicon Valley
doesn't have a more highly evolved brain than a hunter/gatherer in the
rain forest or desert.  Do you agree that the brain can become more
physically developed through training?

>> Am I still destined to
>> have sex with my sister and eat the ashes of my dead relatives?
>
>Well, I'm sure you do things that are equally disgusting to =
hunter-gatherer
>folks.
>BTW, incest is not especially common among foragers (another more PC =
term for
>hunter gatherers). Where did you get this little bit of info?

Absolutely, I have no doubt I do some things that are absolutely
disgusting to people from other civilized societies also.  As for the
incest, the views come from native american folklore and educational
television programs about indians in South America.

>> Surely, this statement cannot be correct.  Brain power can be
>> developed through learning, habit, or other things.  When this
>> happens, new, physical connections are created in the brain.  Surely
>> this is "developing" the brain?
>
>No, training is not the same as evolution (see above).

Yes, please excuse me.  I took exception to the statement that the
brain cannot be developed, but I also believe it can evolve.  I take
your statements now to be saying that mankind's brain does not evolve
over time, or that it does, but external influences have no bearing on
that evolution, so that all humans progress at the same rate worldwide
regardless of environment.  I disagree with this also, but I have
pulled a sentence out of your post that is WAY off topic, and I
apologize for that.

>Mi amikel fughi,
>Mike Farris

Thank you for the answer.  Sorry for the off-topic question.

- Zeno