On: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:48:26 -0300
Pablo Flores wrote:
=---------=---------=---------=---------=
> >I don't know where Peru or Chile came from.
> I think I read somewhere that Chile comes from Araucano (or some other
> Indian language) _chiri_, 'cold'. And Peru from _biru_ (another native
> word, but I don't know what it means).

        I read somewhere else that Chile is from "cilli", which means
"where the earth ends".

> You didn't mention Brazil and Argentina. 'Brasil' comes from the same root
> as 'brasa' (lit piece of coal, burnt wood reduced to carbon; what's the
> English word?). Apparently there was a tree which produced a flaming red
> tint or something like that, so it was called 'palo brasil', hence the name
> given to the whole country.

        "Pau-brasil", in portugese. "Brasil" means "live-ash(?) colored".

--
 ________  Gustavo Eulalio M. Cabral
|  ______| ,----------------------------------.
| |  ____  | "My language is my homeland"     |`
| | |__  | |  Fernando Pessoa, Portugese poet ||
                e mail  : [log in to unmask]
                Homepage: http://i.am/g.eu/
/"\
\ /  CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
 X   ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
/ \