Je 10:16 ptm 11/13/98 -0500, Jay BOWKS skribis:

>Don, io vermente non essaya de
>parer un ingenue ma io non comprehende
>le signification hic infra, "eternaj komencantoj"
>fare referentia a "conmenciatores eterne".
>Nonne?
>O esque le "mondo eterna" es le "mundo eterne"?

"eternaj komencantoj" = folks who stop learning at a relatively early point
and use the language in a relatively primitive way for the rest of eternity
(or their lives, whichever comes first).

"mondo eterna" = yes, I think that's probably the correct Interlingua
equivalent that you give.

>(Really I'm not trying to look foolish in asking,
>it's just that I'm lost in the discussion and the
>use of "multas" is beyond me since I see it as
>a verb in the present and it is to me a prefix
>like multi- how does one make a verb out of
>much? Please give me a bigger clue... Is any
>other person lost in this, or am I jus not getting
>it?)

"En nia mondo eternaj komencantoj multas"

In Esperanto you can make a verb, noun, adjective, adverb out of anything.
While roots have some sort of semantically determined attribute, they don't
have an inbuilt grammatical function (though, as shorthand, they are often
described as being "noun", "adjective" or "verb" roots); their
functionality is determined by their endings. (There have even been
experiments at turning such roots into prepositions; one of them has been
more or less adopted by a large number of people, though the Academy frowns
on it -- "far" for "fare de".)

"multas" = "estas multaj" when you translate them into English, though the
meanings are actually somewhat different ("multas" is more "active" or
"obtrusive" than "estas multaj").

I think we (Auxlang, not necessarily you) had this discussion about six or
eight months ago, with respect to "bonas" and "farendas".

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/