Je 02:19 PM 06.11.98 PST, vi skribis:

>Dear Auxlang readers,
>
>My name is Andrew Templeman and I am new to this mailing group.
>
>I am a bit of a newbie to this community and to auxilery languages.  I
>have studied a little bit of Esperanto and had a passing novelty
>interest in Klingon.  I never knew there were so many auxilery languages
>up until a few days ago.  Can someone please explain:
>
>What's the deal with Esperanto and Ido?  Which should I learn?
>
>What the hell is Loglan/Lojban?
>
>My main interest in learning an auxiliery language is mostly for
>fun/hobby, but also to challenge myself and to develop a better
>understanding of language in general.
>
>I want to study a language that has some poetic qualities, yet is
>practical.  I know I may be asking a lot, but if you could provide me
>with some personal objective information on the various languages, I
>would really apprciate it.
>
>Which one should I learn first?
>
>Dankon,
>
>Andrew

Saluton, Andrew!

I suggest Esperanto.  It is the only planlingvo that we are likely to get
any benefit from.

Best estimates of the number of Esperantists range around 1.6 million, no
other constructed language seems to be in the running.  For me more to the
point, the language has been used extensively for original and translated
literature and poetry, more and more of which is becoming available online.
 It is also the only constructed international language which has achieved
any degree of recognition in the political arena.

90 years ago Ido was presented as an "improved" Esperanto, but the test of
time has shown otherwise.  Idists now claim 200 - 400 speakers (and an
email list, and some nice online materials chiefly to the credit of 4
enthusiasts). =20

Occidental looked like an option in the 1920s, but basically completed died
out -- no more publicity or publications, etc. (Now, however, Bob Petry has
"reopened for business" and has created a number of Occidental websites!) =
=20

Interlingua made some waves in the 50s and 60s, but not much has been going
on there now, either.  (But their email list is very friendly, and if you
already speak a Romance language this language can give you a quick taste
of actually using an international language.)

Basic English looked good for awhile, but that promise has since been shown
to have been deceptive:  they claimed to have drastically limited the
vocabulary, but used combinations of words that have to be learned as
separate vocabulary anyway.  (And it's very hard for an English speaker to
limit him/herself to "allowed" words, too.) =20

Loglan was an experiment in creating a LOGical LANguage, and Logban a
restructuring of it.  Extremely interesting stuff -- unlike any human
language!  There may be a dozen or so speakers, it doesn't seem likely to
become an viable International Auxiliary Language. =20

But don't expect to get a clear, unanimous answer to your questions here on
auxlang!  When I realized that the arguments just kept on (and on, and on!)
and many of the same things were repeated, I started saving excerpts from
the discussions, and finally this grew into a set of webpages at:

        <http://www.southern.edu/~caviness/Eo_unue/Eo_unue.html>

But don't spend too much time there.  Better to take the free online
10-lesson Esperanto course (there's also a free mid-level course available)
and actually use it.  Check out the Virtuala Esperanto-Biblioteko=20

                                <http://www.esperanto.net/veb/>

(there's a link called "Lerni Esperanton" that takes you to available
online courses) and the newsgroup soc.culture.esperanto, as a start.  Oh,
there's a nice mailing list for beginners called Esperanto-Beginner-L, its
FAQ can be found here:

                <http://www.geocities.com/Athens/2694/esp/eblfaq.html>

(I had a little trouble finding it, a search of GeoCities member pages
alone gave me 3661 matches for "Esperanto".  And if you do a net-wide
search you'll be swimming in information.)

Amike,

Ken Caviness

  | Ken CAVINESS           Physics at Southern Adventist University |
  | [log in to unmask]             ESPERANTO =3D Lingvo internacia |
  | http://southern.edu/~caviness/     E-o/English/Fran=E7ais/Deutsch |