Je 08:32 AM 08.11.98 -0700, vi skribis:

>Ken Caviness wrote:
>
>> Je 08:26 PM 06.11.98 -0700, Robert J. Petry skribis:
>>
>> >Arrrrgggggghhhh?! Just finished over 500 pages of scanning today,
>> >just so you folks will be able to download the full German-Occidental
>> >Wo"rterbuch soon.
>>
>> Bona laboro, Amiko!
>>
>> >Oh, the effort we go to for the critics! and no
>> >thanks. my, my, my. ;--)))
>>
>> You don't want thanks, Bob, you want money, right?!   ;-)
>
>Who said money was wrong? It is the love of money that is a problem. And,
>Occidentalists tried to do it without money before and they caused a stir,
>but could not keep up with those who had it. This time that won't happen.
>
>> Seriously, this W=F6rterbuch will join the things you have put online=
 which
>> one has to register and pay for, ^cu ne?
>
>That's right. It will cost money. Surprisingly, those who pay for what they
>want don't argue, fuss, and belly ache like those who want everything free
>do. Plus, those who pay use it, those who don't vary in using it.
>
>Those who are trying to promote their lins on value of the language alone
>will get virtually nowhere. Tell Bill Gates to give you his OS free.
>
>Please send me all your books in Esperanto free. I guess my teach yourself
>book and dictionary in Esp. was free. Some folks have their priorites all
>wrong. They have been on the dole all their lives, and think it's wrong to
>pay for what has real value. I guess it really bothers you that someone is
>saying, hey, if you want this, you gotta give some of your money for it.

No smiley there, but I presume that friendly sarcasm was intended.  In case
there actually was a question, I will answer:  No, "Teach Yourself
Esperanto" and other textbooks which are available are not free.  There are
of course many different published Esperanto textbooks, for TYE you'll have
to take up the question with TY Books, NTC Publishing Group, 4255 West
Touhy Avenue, Lincolnwood (Chicago), Illinois 60646.  ;-)

Those interested in learning Esperanto can order many other books and tapes
from ELNA -- see their website:

                     <http://www.esperanto-usa.org/>

BUT there is _also_ an immense amount of online material available for
those who have an interest in learning Esperanto.  I'm happy to be able to
report from personal experience that it is possible to learn Esperanto
online on a very limited budget.  The willingness of so many Esperantists
to go to so much effort to put so much material online gives me confidence
in the future of the Esperanto language and movement.

>And, thanks for the encouragement above about the scanning. Boy, is it
>tedious. But, well worth the effort after done.

I understand that tedium.  To help the Novial group I scanned in many pages
of Jespersen's "Novial Lexike", and more recently scanned in the lessons of
the online Volap=FCk course which are now at Thomas Leigh's site, and am now
working with others in getting Sprague's "Hand-Book of Volap=FCk" online and
in HTML format -- currently in the post-scan / editing stage.

These resources are of immense historical interest to IAL-enthusiasts.  I
would also encourage you to eventually make more Occidental material
available. =20

>By the way, which Esperanto magazines are free so I can order a dozen to be
>sent to me via international mail at their expense?

There are a number of free Esperanto online magazines / newsletters.  Of
course printed magazines you can get the "old-fashioned" way, place the
order, pay your money, wait for the mail, ...  ;-)  But I think you knew=
 this.

>By the way, the Worterbuch is 500 pages. Send me your free 500 page=
 Esperanto
>book.=20

Nice try, Bob.  You can already access free Esperanto dictionaries online.

>And, a new one for free at least every month. See how long it takes you
>to quit that real fast.

You have explained your game plan, and I think I understand it.  The idea
that people value what they have to pay for sounds like good strategy.
We'll see how it works out in practice.  But I guess I still don't believe
that your marketing plan can deliver the results you so optimistically
claim.  I'd be delighted to see Occidental (or any planligvo!) explode into
prominence at the rate you envision, but looking at over a hundred years of
conlang history indicate that it's not that easy. =20

But Esperanto continues to make headway.  Vivu la internacian lingvon!  ;-)

>I'll be glad when you act on the light you see, instead of quibbling to=
 hang
>on to a19th cent. relic. ;--)))

Not quibbling, mia amiko.  It's sizing up the candidates and promoting the
one which seems to have the best chance of success.  I'm sorry that you
feel the need to call names -- even names followed by smileys.

Esperante salutas

Ken

  | Ken CAVINESS           Physics at Southern Adventist University |
  | [log in to unmask]             ESPERANTO =3D Lingvo internacia |
  | http://southern.edu/~caviness/     E-o/English/Fran=E7ais/Deutsch |