Ken Caviness wrote:

> [kut]
>
> BUT there is _also_ an immense amount of online material available for
> those who have an interest in learning Esperanto.  I'm happy to be able=
> report from personal experience that it is possible to learn Esperanto
> online on a very limited budget.  The willingness of so many Esperantis=
ts
> to go to so much effort to put so much material online gives me confide=
nce
> in the future of the Esperanto language and movement.

It is also possible to learn Occidental with what has already been posted=
 on the
websites, and in the lists on occidental and lingue. Unlike others, one d=
oes not
really need much more than the material which they can already read witho=
ut
instruction. The other material for sale are nothing more than reinforcem=
ents, and
valuable historical material, and reference material. Anyone who has acce=
ss to the
material I have already posted, can do as Kjell did. Take the words and c=
ompile a
word list of their own. The Grammar which is so simple is already posted =
on the
websites for free, and in the ezine, and in the email lists. So, absolute=
ly no one
is left out of learning Occidental if they really do see the light, as yo=
u do. You
yourself, I know, have enough to begin using Occidental but so far refuse=
. Why,
I'll never really understand. Occidental is so easy to learn I don't see =
why
anyone interested in the IAL movement would refuse to learn it. Many who =
are
against Esperanto go to the extreme of learning it anyway, for some stran=
ge
reason, but won't do the same with a language they know is much easier an=
d more
far reaching in potential. And, even those in the past who admitted this,=
 gave as
an excuse that it was no use, Esperanto was already too far entrenched to=
 try and
change things. That's the exact same argument the Volapu"kists made when =
Esp came
on the scene.

> >And, thanks for the encouragement above about the scanning. Boy, is it
> >tedious. But, well worth the effort after done.
>
> I understand that tedium.  To help the Novial group I scanned in many p=
ages
> of Jespersen's "Novial Lexike", and more recently scanned in the lesson=
s of
> the online Volap=FCk course which are now at Thomas Leigh's site, and a=
m now
> working with others in getting Sprague's "Hand-Book of Volap=FCk" onlin=
e and
> in HTML format -- currently in the post-scan / editing stage.
>
> These resources are of immense historical interest to IAL-enthusiasts. =
> would also encourage you to eventually make more Occidental material
> available.

I'm putting out new material almost daily on the lingue list, on the webs=
ites,
etc.

> [kut]
> >By the way, the Worterbuch is 500 pages. Send me your free 500 page Es=
peranto
> >book.
>
> Nice try, Bob.  You can already access free Esperanto dictionaries onli=
ne.

You can Occidental too. So why should I go to the extreme of covering wha=
t is
already there. Take the IALA dictionary and put the Occidental on the end=
ings of
the words, and voila'. Occidental. And, the proper endings and grammar ha=
s also
been made available for free. It's not availability that's the problem. I=
t is
simple resistance. People don't like to be told something is so easy and =
that it
works and that it already exists.

> [kut]
>
> But Esperanto continues to make headway.  Vivu la internacian lingvon! =
 ;-)

Eh? 2,000,000 (?) in the 1920"s, in the 1930"s, in the 1940"s, in the 195=
0"s,
1960's, 1970"s, 1980" and 1. 6 to 2 million in the 1990"s is headway? Ple=
ase
explain the headway to me here.

> >I'll be glad when you act on the light you see, instead of quibbling t=
o hang
> >on to a19th cent. relic. ;--)))
>
> Not quibbling, mia amiko.  It's sizing up the candidates and promoting =
the
> one which seems to have the best chance of success.  I'm sorry that you
> feel the need to call names -- even names followed by smileys.

Call names? It is not calling names. It is a fact. The language was based=
 on 18th
and 19th century principles. I don't think that is name calling. I think =
it is
already subconsciously understood by most adherents. And, that explains, =
at least
to me, why overall the group doesn't care about the IAL factor anymore, a=
nd
maintain the "closed society" kind of syndrome.

Now, thoughts or beliefs to the contrary, I am not advocating doing away =
with it,
or any other lin. I am advocating using a language that can help in many =
more
situations where Esperanto, Ido, and others will not help. That's all. Oc=
cidental
is and has been, and will continue to be, an asset even for the Esperanti=
sts.

Just think, when they find themselves in a situation where they need to
communicate and no other initiate is around, they can switch to Occidenta=
communicate their needs, and then go back to Esperanto when they are with
Esperantists. That's what an English, Spanish, German, etc. speaker would=
 do if
they used Occidental. When they were home they'd revert back to using the=
ir home
language. Seems like a great benefit to me.

Quel es li max facil lingue auxiliari? Esperanto, Ido o Occidental?

"Dunc, egal qualmen on torna li question, li conclusion es evident: Occid=
ental es
ya mult plu facil quam Esperanto_Ido, it es li tip del lingue mundal [del=
 nu, e]
del future!" Former Esperantist.

Al l sue,
Amico,