On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:15:21 +0100, Joshua Shinavier =
wrote:

>Hello fellow language-makers
>
>> So, does anyone have a preference / suggestion for which i should use?
>> How do you represent foreign words/names in your conlangs?
>

>This ties in with something I was thinking of asking about naming =
foreign
>languages/countries in a conlang; what I usually do is to simply =
approximate
>the name using my conlang's phonetics, e.g. England --> "Ingland",
>France --> "Frans", Austria --> "=D6styrrayx", whereby I always try to =
use the
>*native* word as my model -- the problem being that I only know so many
>languages even superficially, the rest I can't name unless I want to use
>second-hand words, like English/German "Indonesian/Indonesisch" -->
>"Indon=EBz=EFav=EBn", or "Indon=EBj=EFav=EBn", etc.  I once tried to =
systematically
>name the major languages of the world by following Internet language =
links
>and determining the native pronunciation of each language, but I spent a=
 matter
>of several hours on the project and had only gotten as far as Albanian, =
without
>even all the languages before that properly named, due to scanty =
material.
>I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and whether =
conlangers
>would be interested in creating a list of as many languages/place names =
as
>the collective lot of us know in their native pronunciations, to put on =
the
>Internet somewhere as a permanent conlangers' resource (e.g. as part of =
the
>Conlang FAQ).

That sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately my time at the moment is =
VERY
limited. Still, I prefer borrowing the native names of languages and =
place
names if I can find them (and figure out how to pronounce them =
correctly).
But it's easy to make mistakes, and some languages have more than one
native name (Zhongwen? Hanyu? Putonghua?). When I get some time (probably
no earlier than Thanksgiving), I'll see what names I can dig up from my
notes and post them here if someone hasn't already done so by them.