lucasso wrote:

> have you thought about low speech, vulgarisms and slangs?
> i'm especially interested in vulgarity, what words may have vulgar mean=
ing,
> what can be vulgar?

I've always wonder this too.
In comparing the natlangs I know, or have hear about, I've noted that wha=
t is
vulgar or offensive in some language is not in some others.  Even in some=

dialects/accents of Spanish, there are differences between what is vulgar=
 or
offensive and what is not.

Commonly in Spanish, vulgarity is usually asociated with sex.  If I remem=
ber
correctly in Swedish vulgar words are more asociated with hell and deamon=
ds.
One of the acceptions of "to swear" in English is to be rude.  "jurar" wo=
uldn't
be interpreted in Colombia in that sense.

The other phenomena I've found is how values changes.  Vulgar words chang=
es.
The history i heard says that the Spanish word "puta" (peyorative for hor=
e)
comes form a Italian word meaning "miss".  Which wasn't vulgar becomes th=
at. The
Spanish verb "coger": "to take" or "to grep" has become vulgar in many
Latinoamerican countries with a peyorative meaning of having sex.  "Coger=
" is
still used in Colombia with the standard meaning "to take".

Many vulgar words were meant to be rude and insultive.  In Colombia (or a=
t least
in Bogota) many of those are commonly used with no rude meaning.  They ar=
e still
vulgar (you wouldn't pronounce it at the board meating of your company) b=
ut not
rude.  If you realy want to be rude to a man, specialy if you are a woman=
,
called him "cretino" which is not considered a vulgarity but is quite
offensive.  In other words: vulgarity is usually asociated with sex, but
rudeness is usually asociated with lack of inteligence.

Other common source of rude words are animals wich we asociated with nega=
tive
values (like opportunism, foul play or something like that).  Examples in=

Spanish are "rata", at some extend "perro" (dog) but "perra" (bitch) is f=
ully
rude (with similar meaning than English if I'm not mistaken).  I remember=
 I once
read that calling somebody "wild dog" was very offensive in some Arab cou=
ntry.

> AFAIK there are no 'civilisated' langs without that stuff, so whata bou=
> conlans?

I've found in sombodys conlang that politness should be necesary... I gue=
ss this
make rude and vulgar a phrase with no polite markings.

I guess for the resurection of my personal language, I won't derive vulga=
rity at
a deep level, that's because I myself are not uset to vulgar speech, even=
 if my
enviroment is plaged by that.  Rudeness would probably be conceptual borr=
owings
from the languages I know (those which reflect my own thoughts) and scape=
 word
(those "shit!" "f...!" and other words when only used for internal but
exteriorized thoughts) would be shameless phonetical borrowings from what=
 evere
word crosses my mind.

If I ever begun seriously any of may ficlangs they would derive the vulga=
rity
from their cultures values.

Well, thats all for know.

--
                                      o_o
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3Dw=3D=3D=3Dw=3D=3D=3D=3D#######