Mathias M. Lassailly wrote:
>Kristian wrote :
>
>> You did not mention anything about Tunu's prosody. Where do you
>> place stress in Tunu? And what made you decide that the prosody
>> should be the way it is considering the various prosodic
>> systems around the pacific rim (w/ Chinese being tonal and
>> Japanese nearly tonal)?
>>

>I had no clue that Japanese were tonal. Well maybe I'm missing
>something : no wonder I still deplore some misunderstanding with
>lemon faces - I mean : lemon clients - (but they always pay me in
>time so it's ok ;-). Prosody differs considerably from one
>Japanese region to another. You seem very interested in prosody
>and you're very right to do so : from my own experience it's 50%
>of understanding the language. Quite apart from that, Japanese
>has an average frequency of 4000 Htz while American is roughly
>2000 Htz and French 2700 Htz.

Well, actually, Japanese is more correctly a language with a pitch
accent rather than tones. But I read that in some dialects its use is
phonemic. According to "The World's Major Languages" by Bernard
Comrie, in the Kyooto dialect the segmental form "hasi" has three
pitch patterns each associated with a different meaning: hasi with
H(igh) H(igh) is 'edge', with L(ow) H is 'chopsticks', and with HL is
'bridge'.

But I'm still curious as to where stress is placed Tunu - assuming it
is a stress language of course. :-P

>I need you to design the Baltic Auxiliary Language of the 2090's.
>It's good money return by then, I'm sure.

Do you really need me to design the Baltic Auxiliary Language? OK
then, let's call it "BAL" - a conveniently recognizable acronym, don't
you think? 8-)

I would imagine Bal being a mix of Scandinavian, Baltic, and Finnic
languages (perhaps also Polish). I speak Scandinavian, but I know very
little (if any) of the other languages. I might end up designing a
Scandinavian Auxlang instead. Nevertheless, it could be an interesting
challenge for someone with the proper exposure to all of these
languages. Anyone?

Regards,
-Kristian- 8-)