Kristian wrote :

> Well, actually, Japanese is more correctly a language with a pitch
> accent rather than tones. But I read that in some dialects its use is
> phonemic. According to "The World's Major Languages" by Bernard
> Comrie, in the Kyooto dialect the segmental form "hasi" has three
> pitch patterns each associated with a different meaning: hasi with
> H(igh) H(igh) is 'edge', with L(ow) H is 'chopsticks', and with HL is
> 'bridge'.

Yes, Japanese is definitely one of the - if not THE - major languages of the world. However, speaking for the 10 thousandth time of that famous yet unfortunate pair of chopsticks scaringly hanging from the edge of that Japanese bridge, well themselves told me they were not different pitches but different words ;-) Try these pitches in Toooookyooooo, you'll get into trouble. Nothing to do with the pitch because Japanese CAN make the difference between chopsticks and bridge and edge when they're inadvertently thinking of the three of them at the same time, but with some Japanese fluency you may well be mistaken for a Kyooootoite... Seriously, think of that frequency thing : 4000 Htz, that's something ! What is Danish like ? 2500 Htz ? I'm sure we beat you.

> But I'm still curious as to where stress is placed Tunu - assuming it
> is a stress language of course. :-P

On the first syllable of the stem. Although it should be on the last syllable like in any decent language (I mean French, of course).

> >I need you to design the Baltic Auxiliary Language of the 2090's.
> >It's good money return by then, I'm sure.
> >
> Do you really need me to design the Baltic Auxiliary Language? OK
> then, let's call it "BAL" - a conveniently recognizable acronym, don't
> you think? 8-)
>
> I would imagine Bal being a mix of Scandinavian, Baltic, and Finnic
> languages (perhaps also Polish). I speak Scandinavian, but I know very
> little (if any) of the other languages. I might end up designing a
> Scandinavian Auxlang instead. Nevertheless, it could be an interesting
> challenge for someone with the proper exposure to all of these
> languages. Anyone?
>
> Regards,
> -Kristian- 8-)

You mean your first auxword will be *herring* ?
Hey, keep smiling : I'm only joking. And I do like herring ;-)

Mathias

-----
See the original message at http://www.egroups.com/list/conlang/?start=18309