Eric Christopherson wrote:

> Um, what makes you think Japanese has significant contributions from
> these languages? I am reasonably sure there must be at least some
> vocabulary from Ainu, but what about the others? Malayo-Polynesian??
> Or was this your sick idea of a joke? :D

Well, he put it a little vaguely, but there *are* two main theories
about the origins of Japanese, that it is Austronesian with lots
of Altaic influence, or that it is Altaic with lots of Austronesian
influence.  The evidence is insufficient to decide and may always
be so.

--
John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              [log in to unmask]