Joshua Shinavier wrote:
-----<snip>-----
>> > Denmark:
>> >   national language is -->Danish
>> >   in Danish: Danmark ['d&n.mark]
>>
>> This [&] is ash?
>
>I don't know if it's pronounced this way all over, but a Danish
>girl I used to know pronounced the a as an ash; if anyone has any
>broader data, post it!

I'm Danish... so yes, [&] is pronounced as in American English 'ash'
or 'and'.

In case you also need to know this:
language: dansk [d&nsk]
adj.: dansk [d&nsk]
person from Denmark (i.e. Dane): danskere ['d&n.sgO]
*note that Danes don't capitalize these terms.

And while I'm at it, since I'm also a Filipino, you might also be
interested in this (in case you don't already have it):

Philippines:
   country name:
      -"Republika ng Pilipinas" [re'pu:blika naN pili'pi:nas].
      -Commonly called "Pilipinas" [pili'pi:nas]

   national language:
      -"Pilipino" [pili'pi:noh] - based on "Tagalog"
      [ta'ga:log], the language spoken in and around Manila
      (locally called "Maynila" [maj'ni:lah]).

   a Filipino (anyone from the Philippines regardless of mother-
   tongue):
      -"Pilipino" [Pilipi:noh].
      -Colloquially this is "Pinoy" [pi'noj].
      -Both of the above terms are also used as adjectives.

   a native Tagalog-speaker:
      "Tagalog" [ta'ga:log], apparently a contraction of "taga
      ilog" [taga'?i:log] meaning 'dweller from the river' or
      'river-dweller'.

   a Tagalog from Manila:
      -"Tagamaynila" [tagamaj'ni:lah].
      -"Maynila" [maj'ni:lah] is apparently a contraction of "may
      nilad" [maj 'ni:lad] meaning 'there are nilad flowers', thus
      "tagamaynila" originally meant a 'dweller from the place
      with nilad flowers'.

Regards,
-Kristian- 8-)