On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Joshua Shinavier wrote:

> > Yes, I am.  Here's a little example of Boarisch:
> >=20
> > Unsar Schraibwais vom Boarischn is a unvarbindlihar Vorschl=E5g, wia ma=
' as=20
> > Boarische schraibm kannt, aso das a jedar der wo boarisch redt guat=20
> > vast=EAt, w=E5s gschribm werd.
>=20
> Yes, that definitely looks Bavarian.  To me almost any dialect sounds rat=
her=20
> "farmer John", but as long as its not Schwiizer I don't mind it ;-)
>=20
>=20
> > As for my dialect, if you want an example, please see=20
> > www.extra.hu/svejk/german.html
> > only the DDR anthem is ready, though!
>=20
> Hmm, your very own dialect -- sounds like something for me; no specific
> hometown (born in New York, but didn't live there long), no particular pl=
ace
> I've spent the greater part of my life in -- the problem, or the charm of=
 it,
> depending on how you look at it, being that everyone you try to talk to i=
n it
> is going to look at you funny and wonder where you're from.
> Do you ever just start speaking Wranysch to someone and act perfectly nat=
ural
> about it?  You should try it and see if they don't pretend as if they kne=
w what
> dialect it is, just to keep from looking stupid :-)

Actually, I use it all the time...one guy said I was Schwaebisch (I had=20
to laugh inwardly...that's the only Bundesland I haven't been to), while=20
numerous others said that I *have* to be a Volxdeutscher, but they can't=20
pinpoint where.  The Archbishop of Vancouver (he's Austrian born in=20
Czernowitz - today that's Chernovtsy in Ukraine) said that my German is=20
like a dialect atlas of the German language...quite an accurate statement.

-------ferke
Ferenc Gy. Valoczy

                      Es to pilni'gi noliedzu!

Personal page: http://www.extra.hu/svejk/index.html