On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Matt Pearson wrote:

> Frank George Valoczy wrote:
>
> >> What is "lative"?  And what case is the direct object in?
> >
> >Lative is the opposite of locative; locative indicates position in
> >Eastern Khanty, while Lative indicates motion towards without a
> >postposition.
>
> Why do you call it "lative" rather than "allative" - or "dative", for
> that matter?

Hmmm.good question.  I'm just using what Szabo used in his Eatern Ostyak
[Khanty] Chrestomathy.

> >The direct object is in the nominative, and verbs are like in Hungarian,
> >no distinction is made btw. transitive and intransitive.
>
> I don't understand what you mean here...

Hungarian has only one class of verbs; ie. no distinction is made btw.
transitive and intransitive verbs.  I don't know how to explain it; maybe
if you'd specify what you don't understand?

-------ferke
Ferenc Gy. Valoczy

                      Es to pilni'gi noliedzu!

Personal page: http://www.extra.hu/svejk/index.html