James Chandler scribeva:
>Chris Burd rote:
>
>> I can see three ways:
>>
>> "Un structura plus libere que *que*" (works better in spoken Ia than
written)

>> "Un structure plus libere que qualcosa?"
>>
>> "Un structure plus libere que qual?" (actually means, "...than which?")
>
>All very well, but now look at f.e. the Ido equivalent:
>
>strukturo plu libera kam quo?
>
>And kam is used in all such situations of comparison where in English
>we use variously "(bigger) than, (the same) as, (different) to".

You can use "que" in all those expressions in Interlingua.
Conversely, you can express "kam quo" in different ways in Ido,
though you have much less freedom of expression than you
find in occidental and interlingua.

>I suppose I just baulked at the idea of using the same form for this
>and "what" in a planned language.
>
>James Chandler.

Does a planned language have to be so different from a
less-planned language (such as Portuguese or French)? One
thing about "less-planned" languages--they have a
l-o-n-g and successful track record. Let's learn from them!

All the best!
Mike Ramsay