On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Paul O Bartlett wrote:

>     Suppose that I am a stereotypical monoglot anglophone American with
> little or no awareness of or appreciation for "the language problem."
> Now you come to me and promote the IAL deal.
>
>     "Great," I reply, "I am convinced.  Now teach me your fabulous
> auxiliary language."

>     "Well, you see, there are all these IALs out there.  I am not
> advocating any particular one of them."

... "Because you might like one of the others better
for your own purposes. But my favorite is ..."

A. "Ido, for its great regularity and simplicity."
B. "Interlingua, for its use in travel to many places"
C. "Glosa, for its supremely easy phonology and grammar."
D. "Lojban, because I am a computer scientist."
E. "Esperanto, because of its community."
Z. "Novial, because Jesperson is my hero."

Today I pick D.

> We go back and forth like this, you espousing a cloudy ideal and I,
> being convinced on theoretical grounds, wanting to do something specific
> about it.  If sooner or later you do not evidence willingness to teach
> me some specific language, I am likely to conclude that you are an
> impractical dreamer (or that IALists in general are cranks) and go my
> way, muttering under my breath about addle-pated idealists.

My friends already know that.